Raw bars are one of my favorite treats to prepare, probably because the level of difficulty and effort is pretty low. This recipe is fudgy, deliciously tasty, and packed with nutrients.
Are dates a healthy sweet alternative?
Dates are a great ingredient to incorporate into your paleo diet, but as with most things, moderation is key. Dates are naturally sweet and high in nutrients, minerals, and insoluble fiber, but despite their excellent nutritional value, they are also high in fructose.
Some people may find it hard to digest fructose, which could lead to some of the following symptoms: diarrhea, gas, and stomach pain.
Looking for substitutes for cacao in your recipes?
Carob powder is a great alternative to cacao and tastes just as good! When I started the Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) diet I used it often as a substitute as I weaned off of my sugar addiction.
You can also find my Carob Banana Bread Recipe on my blog too if you looking for more alternatives to try.
Paleo Fudgy Raw Date Squares
- 2 Cups Pitted Dates
- 0.5 Cup Raisins
- 0.5 Cup Raw Cacao Powder or Carob Powder
- 0.5 Cup Organic Coconut Butter
- 1/3 Cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 0.5 Cup Organic Shredded Coconut
- 2 TBSP Almond Butter
- 1 TSP Vanilla Essence
- Start by placing all your pitted dates into a bowl, cover them in hot water so they can soften for a few minutes.
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients and blend until well combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer the mixture into a paper-lined dish.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares and refrigerate in a sealed container for up to a week. You could also freeze them for even longer.