2019 is practically over! Can you believe it? I know I am still in shock. I feel like just yesterday I was at the beach enjoying my summer vacation! With the holidays whizzing by it can be easy to get lost in the buzz and roll into January 2nd unsure of what just happened!
With the year, and decade (which is crazy to think about!) coming to a close have you thought about resolutions? With autoimmune disease, our future health isn’t always certain but embracing new practices or trying something new could aid in healing our bodies and allowing ourselves to be more present in our health journey. When thinking of resolutions, it’s easy to be turned off by what you typically hear people doing, but I’ve thought of some alternative resolutions that can start you off on a new positive journey. Here are 5 ideas that will help you dive into this new decade full force by working to better yourself, encourage healing, and learning!
- Start a gratitude journal. This is something I am going to start doing this new year! We have something to be grateful for EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. All you need is to set aside 5 minutes out of your day to write down something you are grateful for, or 10 things! Treat yourself to a cute journal and before bed each night take a few minutes to reflect on your day and write down the things you are thankful for. It could be simply waking up in the morning, the sunshine, your loving significant other who helped you out on a low spoon day, anything. What will be even better is to go through your gratitude journal this time next year to see how many different things were able to make your heart feel full!
- Embrace a new eating habit. A few years ago I used the new year as an opportunity to transition to a completely new eating lifestyle, but don’t let this intimidate you! I’m not saying to change your diet/lifestyle completely, but maybe you could incorporate a positive new eating habit into your arsenal that could potentially aid in healing properties! Heard of “Meatless Monday”? Make it a weekly habit! Or switch to “Meat Monday” and eat fully plant based the remainder of the week. You could cut back on your dairy consumption or processed food usage. Is there something you wanted to try but have been scared to commit to? Try it out! If you plan it out ahead of time you can really embrace what simple switches in your diet can do for your health, and our planet! Check out the Autoimmune Wellness Handbook for some inspiration!
- Explore your autoimmunity. Sometimes when looking at our diseases we only see the negative aspects or we feel defeated…but there is so much to learn about our bodies! Are there new advances in the research for your autoimmune disease? Take the time to sit and read scientific articles that have recently been published. Or maybe there are new techniques or clinical trials happening that are intriguing. The autoimmune disease research is out there and you never know what you could learn that could help in healing your disease as much as possible or greatly relieve symptoms. You could even join a community (like this one!) to connect with others in your area and learn about and from people who have the same disease as you!
- Try to add some meditation or reflection time into your day. Meditating is such a great way to ground yourself, release your body of tension, and ease anxiety. You don’t need to be “good” at it to start incorporating it into your daily routine. There are days I meditate and my mind races the whole time, it happens! But, there is no such thing as a bad meditation practice! All you need is a few minutes to sit and focus on breathing. You could even use this time to work on your gratitude journal! There are some fantastic apps out there which have free guided meditations of all lengths that can help start you up! I personally use and love Insight Timer, but there are so many more!
- Pick up a book. Is your reading list getting super long? Make it your goal to read a new book every month during this new year. That’s only 12 books! Reading allows you to immerse yourself into a new place and forget what may be going on around you which is just magical! With what we have to deal with on a day to day basis trying to thrive with our diseases, our bodies and minds deserve an escape from reality every once in a while. Kick back, put on cozy clothes and pick up the book (or kindle, or headphones for the audiobook!).
Here’s to you Autoimmune Warriors, this is such a great time to embrace new beginnings! Have a happy and safe New Year! I wish nothing but the best for you ladies during this journey through the new year and new decade.