|POTS is a form of dysautonomia, a term that encompasses several medical conditions that impact the functioning of the autonomic nervous system (ANS). This part of the nervous system is responsible for controlling the automatic functions of the body like blood pressure, rate of respiration, digestion etc. |
There are different forms and levels of POTS but all of them are connected to a viral infection, specifically the Epstein Bar virus.
There are three general types of POTS:
1. Neuropathic POTS: The nerves are directly affected. Viruses cause nerve damage which interferes with the ability of the blood vessels in the abdomen and lower extremities to constrict… blood then begins to pool in the lower extremities and doesn’t completely circulate back towards the heart and brain.
2. Hyperadrenergic POTS: The stress response increases stress hormones like norepinephrine and epinephrine… an overactive sympathetic nervous system brought on by continuous stress (whether emotional or physical because of disease, illness or injury) constantly stimulates the nervous system and aggravates POTS. A long term viral infection is a form of chronic stress that triggers the sympathetic nervous system
3. “Secondary POTS”: This is slightly an oxymoron because almost all illness is a combination of problems… you can’t have a struggling or sluggish liver without consequently experiencing damage to the gallbladder and cardiovascular system for example. Associated conditions to POTS like lupus, Lyme disease, diabetes can all be linked to viral infections with some degree of coinciding fungal, parasite and bacterial infections.
SYMPTOMS OF THIS DISEASE
- High heart rate upon standing
- Exercise intolerance
- Brain fog
- Trouble sleeping
- Blood pooling in the legs
- Chronic fatigue
- Adrenaline rushes
- Chronic pain
- Chest pains
- Trouble breathing
- Syncope (fainting)
- Pre-Syncope (feeling like you’re about to faint)
- Gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying)
- Dry eyes
- Worsening allergies
- Sweating excessively or not at all
- Digestive tract paralysis
- Trouble concentrating
- Memory problems
OUR DISEASE REPRESENTATIVES
I’m Xenay (21 yo) and the little dude is Nicky. I have suffered from POTS pretty much my whole life, but it only got bad enough to see my doctor two years ago. Nobody could figure out what was wrong with me until I found “Chronically Jaquie” on YouTube, and 3 days later, on 17th December, 2019 I had my official POTS diagnosis.
Nicky is my service dog who, among other things, alerts me to my heart rate reaching levels that would cause my legs to give in and me to collapse or possibly faint. We are a team, so you only ever get pictures of us together <3
- BioEnergetics Practitioner
- Holistic Nutritionist
- Functional Medical Doctor
- Lyme specialist
- Naturopathic Doctor
- Chinese Medical Doctor
- Muscle Testing
- Biofeedback Analysis: a natural health screening method
- Exercise ECG
- Halter monitor
- Blood test for auto antibodies
- Tilt table test
- Natural antivirals
- Beta blockers
- Salt tablets
TREATMENT/ Natural Options
Combatting Viruses: viral infections move through stages. For example, mono is only the second stage of an Epstein Bar virus… in the third stage it moves out of the blood (which is why it no longer appears on a blood test) and into the liver. In the 4th and final stage it has penetrated your nervous system (explaining the symptoms of POTS as it gains access to nerves).
Developing a plan to combat viruses usually starts with the diet, incorporating natural anti-viral foods that will combat the virus and eliminating the foods such as dairy, gluten and an overconsumption of meat that are inflammatory and also feed the virus.
Consuming small meals every 1-3 hours throughout the day is also a very healing technique for those dealing with POTS. Let friends or family members help you out with everyday things that you feel would make your symptoms worse, and to help you on bad days.
Heavy metals, toxins, chemicals, pollutants, cigarette smoke, coffee, fluoride, chlorine, pharmaceuticals…. these are all toxic substances that have to be processed and neutralized in the liver. However, if you are experiencing symptoms and illness this is an indication that your liver is struggling to keep up. As a result it begins storing these toxins within itself… the problem is that all of these toxins listed are viruses primary food choice and will feed the infection. Reducing toxic and chemical exposures is therefore vital to combatting long term viral infections.
Energetic balancing, tapping and muscles testing are all extremely important and effective methods of working with and empowering the body to eliminate pathogens and invaders like viruses
Finally, there are a number of anti-viral and immune building supplements that can equip the body to fight off the invaders, strengthen the immune system, organs like the liver and help fuel the body on a cellular level.
BioEnergetics Balancing: Using energy to balance the cells of the body in order to re-establishing homeostasis. Energy can also be used to introduce the electromagnetic signature of the culprit, whether that is a virus, bacteria, parasite etc. in order to help the weakened immune system identify and eliminate the organism. The body is working to produce antibodies to combat the infection you are fighting, balancing the body to these antibodies will aid in this immune function, and help your body overcome the invader. Balancing of the bodies tissues, specifically the nerves, its proteins, enzymes, immune system etc. could significantly help to turn off this inflammatory response.
Natural Antiseptics: to combat any organism that may be causing infection and affecting the tissues (viruses are specifically problematic here.)
- Manuka honey
- Black cumin seed
- Lemon balm
- Tea tree
- Olive leaf extract
- Raw garlic
- Pau d’arco
- Oil of oregano
Rife Machine: Using electromagnetic frequencies to target and kill specific microorganisms (like viruses, bacteria, fungus etc.), reduce inflammation, promote healing etc.
Detoxification: As you work to eliminate viral and other pathogenic infections as well as the accumulation of toxins in your system in order to address POTS, toxins of all kinds will of course begin circulating in the blood as you are trying to direct them out of the body. Ensuring that your eliminatory organs such as your lymphatic system, liver, kidney and colon are supported and functioning optimally before you begin the process of detoxification or killing pathogens is vital. Work to first restore function and homeostasis to these organs before you begin attacking viruses and entering into a detoxification protocol.
Nutritional Therapy: a holistic nutritionist may be able to identify foods or environmental toxins that are creating an inflammatory response in the body and contributing to the inflammation and damage done to the nerves. They can also guide you in utilizing food, nutrients and eating patterns in order to help heal and repair the gut, combat viruses, bacteria, fungus etc. and in building up the body’s immune system.
Eliminating/ Reducing These Inflammatory and Virus Feeding Foods/ Products:
- Meat, lunch meat, smoked meats
- Whole grains
- processed foods, refined sugar, packaged snacks.
- Trans or hydrogenated fats
- Antibiotics or birth control pills
- Solvents and chemicals
Nutrients for heart health & to reduce inflammation:
- Antioxidants are crucial to combat oxidative stress and damage caused by the viruses and invaders, specifically on the nerves.
- Vitamin B12: as adenosylcobalamin with methylcobalamin, protects your entire body from EBV neurotoxin damage.
- Zinc: builds up immune system and enables white blood cells to seek out and destroy viral and pathogenic invaders
- Omega 3 fatty acids good fats: reduce inflammation and needed for building of cell membranes & maintaining cell integrity.
- L-Lysine acts as an anti-inflammatory to the entire nervous system by inhibiting and reducing EBV viral load.
- Magnesium: majority of people are deficient in Mg, it is needed to shuttle excess Calcium of the cells which contributes to disease and oxidative damage.
- Glutathione or NAC (very effective glutathione precursor): glutathione is a critical antioxidant and protector of the nervous system… it is used by the liver to clean and detoxify the blood.
- Probiotics: gut health is vital to full body health, ensuring a balanced gut microbiome strengthens the immune system, helps reduce inflammation and combat invaders.
*For more on anti-viral supplementation see the first resource below “Healing POTS Syndrome”
Heavy Metal Toxicity: Can cause extensive, chronic inflammation, which spreads to different areas of the body. Heavy metals are also the food of choice for viruses and other pathogens. Working to naturally reduce heavy metal levels is extremely beneficial, for anyone dealing with all levels of health issues.
Heavy Metals Detoxification Tools:
- Celery Juice
- Spirulina & Chlorella
Reduce EMF and radiation exposure: EMF’s from your wifi, cell phone, computers etc. cause cellular damage and mass amounts of inflammation, they also damage and destroy the good bacteria within the gut, compromising your immune system. EMF’s also feed and increase the proliferation of viruses and pathogens.
- Turn your phone on airplane mode when not in use, always hold it away from the body (use speaker when talking on the phone), and never keep it on your body when not in airplane mode
- Turn your wifi off at night. Night time is when your body facilitates cellular healing… the EMF’s emitted from the wifi drastically disrupt this process and prevent healing and repair.
- Use wired connection (ethernet cables) as opposed to wifi
- Use grounded charging cables
- Don’t live close to cell phone towers
Here are some great websites, authors, podcasts and other resources to help you navigate your Autoimmune Disease.
POTS Blog Posts: Medical Medium
Detoxification: Are you sure you’re doing it right: Bee Without Lyme
YouTube Channel: Chronically Jaquie
These are the women that have shared their autoimmune journey with us. Please take a moment to read some of their nrave, honest and revealing stories about their diagnosis, successes, hardships and their lives.