Lupus is an autoimmune systemic disease in which your immune system mistakenly attacks your own tissues in various parts of the body. It can affect ANY tissue, organ or system and commonly involves the kidneys, brain, heart, skin and blood.
- It is more common in women between 15 and 45 years old. It is estimated that 9 in 10 cases of lupus are women.
- Multi-factorial disease: genetic predisposition, ambiental factors, immune regulation. An example of ambiental factors that have been associated is Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) infection, better known as infectious mononucleosis.
- It´s commonly associated with other autoimmune diseases such as: antiphospholipid syndrome (APS), Sjogren´s Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, among others.
- Diagnosis is hard to make since it can mimic most diseases. It´s known as the great imitator.
- This is some BASIC information but it all must be INDIVIDUALIZED in the clinical practice. ALL LUPUS PATIENTS ARE DIFFERENT.
+ Systemic: malaise, fatigue, weight loss, unexplained fever.
+ Neurological: seizures, mood disorders, headaches, cognitive dysfunction (decline in attention, memory, etc).
+ Cardiopulmonary: chest pain caused by pleuritis, pericarditis, serositis, myocarditis; pulmonary hypertension.
+ Cutaneous: alopecia, rash, malar erythema (butterfly rash – nose and cheeks), discoid rash, photosensitivity, oral ulcers.
Blood disorders: thrombocytopenia (easy bruising), thrombosis, anemia, splenomegaly.
+ Musculoskeletal: achy, swollen joints (arthritis), myalgias, myopathy.
+ Renal: lupus nephritis.
YOUR POINT OF CONTACT
ABOUT |My name is Nicole, I am a last year medical student from Mexico City. Since the beginning of my career I´ve dedicated most of my time to the the autoimmune diseases field. Before medical school, I studied a Global Health Programme at KCL, London. I love traveling, reading, cooking, practicing yoga and pilates. I am the Creator and Founder of “Autoimmune Awareness”, check it out.
AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES | Chronic Lyme Disease
+ Integrative Health MD
+ Lyme Literate MD LLMD
+ Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine ND
+ IgeneX Reference Labs Western blot
+There are different treatment options available from a Lyme Literate MD LLMD .
+ Antibiotics oral /IV
+ Ozone Therapy
+ Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
+ High Dose Vitamin C IV Therapy
+ Myers Cocktail IV Therapy
+ Diet and Lifestyle and more.
+ Many of these therapies mentioned are done in conjunction with others .
METHODS OF HEALING
- DIET: healing through food, nourishing your body.
- Movement: I love yoga and pilates.
- Hobbies: mine are reading, enjoying a glass of wine, photography, my Autoimmune Awareness page, find what you like!
- Spending the right amount of time with the right amount of people.
- POSITIVE MIND.
Here are some great websites, authors, podcasts and other resources to help you navigate your Autoimmune Disease.
These are the women that have shared their autoimmune journey with us. Please take a moment to read some of their brave, honest and revealing stories about their diagnosis, successes, hardships and their lives.